- Paul Campos' Weblog on ChooseAbility.org

Stuff for people with disabilities and other cool stuff too.

Wednesday, April 02, 2003

iCan ONLINE - Federal judge finds 2 movie theater chains violate ADA
Finally! It's about time that seating at movie theaters for people with disabilities was addressed. In New York City, the Loew's Imax Theatre is one of the largest and most comfortable except when you must see a movie on the lower level. The only seats available happen to be in the front. This is impossible for me because my condition (muscular dystrophy) is such that I can't keep my head up long enough to watch the whole movie. I've dealt with it a few times, however, now, when I buy tickets over the telephone only to find out that the film is downstairs, either I'll switch to another on the 2nd floor or just get a refund.
What's good about this decision is that the Judge didn't go too far, saying that theaters can still have limited seating provided that people have a choice. I think that's extremely fair. I remember (years ago) when there was no space for a wheelchair, while at the same time, not allowing a person using a wheelchair to be in the aisle. That was just ridiculous. I applaud this decision. Do read this well written article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home