- Paul Campos' Weblog on ChooseAbility.org

Stuff for people with disabilities and other cool stuff too.

Friday, April 25, 2003

HoustonChronicle.com - Disabled in Texas fighting for right of freedom
THIS IS A CALL TO ALL PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THAT ALL HUMANKIND HAS A BASIC RIGHT TO EXIST WITH DIGNITY!
Dr. Margaret A. Nosek has written an amazing piece about persons with disabilities in Texas who are literally fighting for their right to live and breathe and work with dignity.
From article:
This is a description of people who are not asking to be pitied; these are people who are demanding to be free. I am a person with a severe disability. I work, I own a home, I pay taxes and I will defend at all cost my right to make decisions about my life. My wheelchair and my ventilator are my chariot and my liberator. I am the new reality of what disability means in our society.

The only reason I am able to work is because I have four personal assistants whom I pay to assist me with my daily activities, like getting out of bed, bathing, dressing, preparing meals. All my education and experience would be wasted if it were not for these wonderful people...
This is a must read!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home